If you are reading this post I believe that you have already followed all of the steps set out in my previous post “First Things First“. Now you will finally learn how to make your own blog. Like I said, it isn’t difficult at all. But you will have to pay close attention.
Starting a blog is the easiest way to share your ideas and expertise with other people around the world. You can use it to promote your online enterprise as well as make money through different content monetizing techniques. Luckily for you, making a blog is easier than ever. In the past you were required to have a good knowledge of coding, but today it can be as easy as creating a Word document.
In this post I am going to set out the exact steps that you need to take to make this already easy process of creating a blog feel like a breeze. And I can guarantee if you follow these steps that it won’t take you more than 20 minutes.
Step 1: Choose Your Blogging Platform
When starting your blog there are many different platforms that you can choose from (Tublr, Blogger, etc)
There is one platform that really stands out between the rest of them, the one I recommend is WordPress. It is free, very user-friendly and perfect for people who have never built a blog before.
Some of the reasons people choose WordPress are:
- It’s FREE
- There are thousands of themes to choose from while most of them you don’t have to pay for
- They have a very helpful support forum
- And it offers over 45k plugins to help your blog run more smoothly and efficiently
Just a heads up… Don’t download it yet. You will have to wait till step 4.
Step 2: Choose A Domain Name
Preferably this is the name of your online enterprise. This is your website’s personal address and the way for all those loyal clients of yours to have access to your amazing content.
Your domain name is important because:
- It is your websites first impression
- It affects your rankings in search engines
- It defines your brand
Luckily for you this step isn’t as difficult as it should be because you have already followed the steps in my previous post “First Things First“.
Step 3: Sign Up With A Web Host And Install WordPress
What Is Web Hosting and Why Do You Need It?
Web Hosting is the service that keeps your blog accessible to everyone. It stores all of your files, images and blog content that you want to display to your visitors. If you don’t have a web host you won’t be able to use that well thought out domain name of yours, and even worse. You won’t be able to to set up a blog for others to see.
There are good and bad hosts
Choosing a host is probably the most important part of creating your blog. With a bad host will cause a lot of problems on your blog. From bad service providing to some hidden fees.
I highly recommend you use HostGator as your host. It is a great hosting service that has customer satisfaction as their top priority
- They have one-click WordPress installation, which makes it easy for you to get started.
- They have 24/7 support, so there’s always someone to answer your questions. They even have employees who work full-time on improving WordPress itself, so there probably isn’t a question you could ask that they couldn’t answer.
- They’ve been officially recommended by WordPress since 2005.
- They have a money-back guarantee, so you can get a refund if you decide you don’t want to have a blog after all.
- Lastly, you’ll get a FREE domain name
Of course you don’t have to use HostGator. Feel free to use any other hosting services available on the internet.
Here is a simple 5 step guide to setting up your blog on HostGator (or any other web host)
- Sign up with HostGator or any other similar web hosting provider.
- Choose the hosting plan (you can pick the cheapest one).
- Choose the domain name you want (they give it to you free).
- Write down your contact and billing information and choose extras (you don’t need any).
- Use the 1-click install to get WordPress ready.
Step 4: Customize Your Blog And Choose A Theme
Now that your WordPress blog is all set up it is time to start navigating and exploring the editing hub of your blog.
Choose A Theme For Your Blog
I think choosing your new WordPress blog design is the most fun step.
The good news:
- You can do it all on your own.
- You can get a FREE WordPress theme that makes your blog look great.
- You can change it later (just don’t change it so often that your readers can’t keep up).
The bad news:
- You can spend a LONG time looking for the perfect theme.
- A WordPress theme is responsible for how your blog looks, so it’s an important decision.
In other words, a WordPress theme is like your car’s frame. It changes how the car looks, but doesn’t impact the features or performance too much.
Luckily for you, WordPress has thousands of great-looking themes already optimized to fit any brand, niche, or industry.
Step 5: Add Posts And Pages
This is the fun part. In this section all of your creative juices are flowing from your head, thru to your fingers tapping the keys on your computer and then on to the screen in front of you. All of that knowledge and passion you have inside you can now finally come out and you can tell all the people of this world what is really going on inside that mind of yours.
When you’re done working with your post, click the “Publish” button and then the “View post” link that’s going to appear at the top of the page (you’ll see your post live on the site).
Congratulations! You just published your first blog post. Before you share it with others (which is the next step), let’s add a simple tracking system to your site, so you’ll see exactly how many people you’ve reached.
Step 6: Get Traffic To Your Blog
No blog is complete without compelling content.
To start, you should figure out the topic(s) that your blog will focus on. Then, come up with 10-15 ideas for new posts. Make these posts a mix of informative and entertaining.
You’ll also want to err on the side of creating evergreen content (content that doesn’t become dated/is always relevant) versus news/current affairs content (which becomes dated and irrelevant). Evergreen content will continue to generate traffic overtime, while other content will run its course and become irrelevant.
Here are some tips for creating strong blog content that your audience will love:
- Start by creating a lead-generating content marketing strategy.
- Follow this guide for creating strong blog posts.
- Develop a reading habit, so you can internalize how great writers write.
- Make your content scanable with headings, short paragraphs, and high quality images.
- Write content that helps your audience solve a problem.
- Follow this strategy to become a better blog writer in 30 days.
- Use this formula to create stronger headlines (if your headlines aren’t compelling, people won’t read the content!).
Promoting your blog
If you want more blog readers as well as the opportunity to monetize your blog, you need to promote your blog. Here are some Killer tactics on how to drive traffic to your blog.
Turning a blog into a profitable business is doable if there’s enough traffic.
Traffic = customers and money.
How to make a blog with sustainable traffic? All you need is:
- A content plan (i.e., what will be your blog’s main topic)
- A game plan for social media (i.e., which social media sites you’ll use and what content you’ll share)
- Some basic knowledge of SEO (traffic from Google)
- For more information you can visit my post on Killer tactics on how to drive traffic to your blog